Saturday, January 22, 2011

Glass Magnets

This is my first time posting on poshISH, thank you Eliza for the invite. Here is a really simple craft my sisters and I did together. We used decorative glass stones to make really cute magnets.

Here is what you need:
Tacky glue, round glass decorative stones usually used in vases (you can find these at any craft store or in the home decor section of most stores), magnets and scraps of paper (I tried to choose paper that matched the color scheme of my kitchen).
First you cut out circles about the same size as the stones, I recommend tracing something like a quarter.

Second, you apply tacky glue to the flat side of the glass stone.  Next glue one of the circles of paper face down to the stone.  Press down on the paper firmly (it is good thumb workout) and wipe off the excess glue.



Third, you don't have to do this, but it worked out well.  Once the glue is dried (we waited maybe 45 minutes) we brushed a little Mod Podge over the paper and flat side of the stone so the paper wouldn't peel off.

Last, once the Mod Podge is dried, if the magnets have a sticky side (which is the kind I recommend getting) stick the magnet on the flat side of the glass stone on top of the paper in the center.  If the magnets don't have a sticky side, use the tacky glue or a hot glue gun and wipe of the excess.  Once again, press firmly.

Applying the magnet.
And now for the final product (drum roll please...)

Ta da!!
I thought they turned out really cute and now I have magnets that match my kitchen.  My very creative sister-in-law Katie did this but instead of using decorative paper, she used pictures of her kids and gave the magnets as a gift to my mom.  They turned out to be an adorable and thoughtful gift.

1 comment:

The Alvords said...

Love this. I need to make some of these for a magnet board for my daughter's room and our kitchen. Thanks!