Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Simple Display Frame

I've been wanting a magnet board for a long time and I've also been wanting to try out chalkboard paint. I had an old frame that I didn't know what to do with, so I decided to make it into a display board.
I started out by getting a piece of metal at Home Depot. They sell sheets of metal there that are 1' x 1', 1' x 2' and 1' x 3' so if you can find a frame that fits a piece that size, you won't have to do any cutting. For mine, we had to cut about 1/4" off the side so my husband used kitchen shears and they worked great.Then I taped off half of the metal sheet and painted it with chalkboard paint. I did about 4 coats since metal is kind of a slippery surface. Then, I pulled off the tape and put the entire metal sheet in front of the glass and put the frame back together. The piece of glass showing at the bottom is used as a white board and I just put a piece of fabric behind the glass on this part to add a little texture.

This project was super easy and I love how it turned out. You could do this with any frame you have and divide it up however you want with magnet board/chalkboard/white board.

3 comments:

Jessica Jackson said...

Ooooh, I like it! I want make a board like this for my kids... the magnet board for their magnetic letters (so they're not covering the fridge all the time) and then some room to doodle.

Brandon and Anjanelle said...

Wow! I love this new blog! And I want to see you guys if you're in town for much longer! Please let us know! Also - you would like my cousins blog: refashioning.blogspot.com she likes to show people how to make cute stylish clothes without spending the money at the mall - OR on fabric!

Ashley said...

What a great idea! Nice job